cvs commit: ports/mail/procmail Makefile

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 31 16:48:36 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 30 August 2011 23:37:48 Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:57:10 +0200
>
> Matthias Andree <mandree at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > I understand that keeping unchanging software can sometimes be
> > necessary, if you're working around its quirks.
> >
> > At the same time I'd like to discourage new installations of dead
> > software so that it disappears over time, rather than haunt fresh
> > systems.

This passive idea will do nothing but generate a lot of confusion. If a port
is actually broken then it should be either fixed or deprecated with the
proper advance notice. The idea of a port that disappears over time will catch
a lot of users unprepared. This whole issue has been addressed by portmgr on
several occasions that I can remember and the consensus was to leave alone
mature working ports. As for procmail, has anyone bothered to talk to the
maintainer?

> That makes perfect sense, yes.
>
> > How about if we added a new tag "OBSOLESCENT" or so that permits
> > building the software only if it's already installed but refuses new
> > installations?  Of course there could be a switch to override that,
> > like TRYBROKEN that can override BROKEN= tags.

We don't need another tag even if it can be overridden. We already have a
method of dealing with "dead" ports.

> You had me on the edge of my seat for a while there, talking about
> removing my beloved procmail.  Now this suggestion I could easily live
> with.  :-)
>
> > I'm not sure if it's feasible for packages (but OBSOLESCENT could
> > imply "do not package") but for ports it would be possible.
>
> I like it.  :-)

I don't!

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \ - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/8.2R/announce.html