cvs commit: ports/mail/procmail Makefile

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Tue Aug 30 16:34:39 UTC 2011

Quoth Matthias Andree on Tuesday, 30 August 2011:
> Am 30.08.2011 14:27, schrieb Kurt Jaeger:
> > [maildrop]
> >>
> >> You'd have to migrate that.
> >
> > That's what I assumed.
> >
> >> Bottom line: the sooner we get rid from procmail the better.
> >
> > There are many other applications that have issues, as well.
> >
> > It's already a lot of work just to keep up with the bug-de-jour
> > and the upgrade-de-jour and doing it all in parallel does
> > not scale very well.
> >
> > Therefore, one has to choose what one can work on.
> >
> > If the fbsd ports drop procmail, it will just add more on
> > my plate that I have to do myself. Similar to many other
> > apps and ports and you-name-it.
> >
> > While I dislike bitrot like anyone else, I have an issue with
> > the dropping of ports in general, because that will not scale.
>
> I understand that keeping unchanging software can sometimes be
> necessary, if you're working around its quirks.
>
> At the same time I'd like to discourage new installations of dead
> software so that it disappears over time, rather than haunt fresh systems.
>

> How about if we added a new tag "OBSOLESCENT" or so that permits
> building the software only if it's already installed but refuses new
> installations?  Of course there could be a switch to override that, like
> TRYBROKEN that can override BROKEN= tags.
>
> I'm not sure if it's feasible for packages (but OBSOLESCENT could imply
> "do not package") but for ports it would be possible.

I like this idea.  But please call it OBSOLETE, instead of OBSOLESCENT.
Gratuitous suffixes are as much of a bane to the language as obsolete
software is to an OS.

--
.O. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
..O | sterling at camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com