MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE: how do *you* handle it?

Rob Farmer rfarmer at predatorlabs.net
Tue Aug 30 00:41:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> wrote:
> Yes, it's kind of crazy what's going on with Sourceforge these days.
> Used to be that the URL for a given project's file(s) was a pretty
> straightforward, standard affair, with the URL invariably ending with
> the name of the file.  Now they're using all these "download" links
> instead, with redirects automatically being invoked, as well as
> unexpectedly inconsistent elements within the URL.  I'm surprised there
> haven't been a lot of reports already of unfetchable distfiles and/or
> broken links in ports' Makefiles.
>
> I had to step back from it for a while, as after numerous attempts to
> find a clean and simple way to handle the new URL scheme, I got
> dizzy.  :-)  Maybe I'll get back to it sometime today.  It may turn out
> that there is, in fact, no general, one-size-fits-all solution for this.
>
> I don't know.  Isn't anyone else (ports maintainers in particular)
> running into any trouble with this?

Download it in your browser so that you can see the real url after all
the redirect business is done:

http://superb-sea2.dl.sourceforge.net/project/scidvspc/source/scid_vs_pc-4.5.tgz

Now you can figure out the SF/whatever expansion with trial and error.

I think they trying to discourage what we are doing - direct linking
to specific mirrors and bypassing the load balancer. Right now all
ports hit Heanet first (unless the user has set RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES
or another override).

--
Rob Farmer