How to handle upgrade of libnotify when cups-client-1.4.8 is marked as broken

Carmel carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 28 15:30:31 UTC 2011

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:30:31 -0400
Robert Huff articulated:

> Leslie Jensen writes:
> >
> >  Following the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING I issued the
> > command
> >
> >  portmaster -r libnotify-0
> >
> >  And after a while I get this error
> >
> >  Dependency check complete for print/cups-client
> >  	libnotify-0.5.2 >> swt-devel-3.6.m5_2,1 >>
> > apache-ant-1.8.2 >> jdk-1.6.0.3p4_25 >> cups-client-1.4.6
> >  ===>  Cleaning for cups-client-1.4.8
> >
> >  ===>  cups-client-1.4.8 is marked as broken: gnutls does not
> > support threads yet.
> >  *** Error code 1
> >
> >  Stop in /usr/ports/print/cups-client
>
> 	Unless you have a specific reason to use GNUTLS: go to
> ports/print, run "make config", uncheck the "Use GNUTLS instead of
> OpenSSL" setting.  (If you do have a specific reason, you probably
> know enough to have handled this already.)
> 	Then rebuild.
> 	Worked for me.

My question is what changed? It worked before updating "libnotify". Is
"libnotify" the culprit or "GNUTLS" or something else and why didn't
anyone catch this problem sooner? It is not like we are talking about
some niche application(s).

There appears to be a lot of material released lately that is either
broken or requiring a considerable amount of manual intervention.
Perhaps a moratorium (port freeze) should be considered until all of the
outstanding problems have been corrected.

--
Carmel ✌
carmel_ny at hotmail.com

Never listen to anyone who talks to you for over five minutes about all
that things that have happened to them that have left them speechless!