Problem with nvidia-driver and "X" after upgrade

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 13:36:46 UTC 2011

On 27 Aug 2011 14:08, "Test Rat" <ttsestt at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > Really, the proper fix would be to make kldload give a more descriptive
> > error, but IIRC this is much easier said than done...
>
> There are a few ports that use SRC_BASE and are *not* kernel modules, e.g.
>
>  devel/linux_kdump
>  devel/linuxthreads
>  sysutils/lsof
>
> > I don't think doing more clever stuff in the port is the solution; It's
not
> > specific to that port.
>
> What about bsd.port.mk bailing out early if kernel sources are for
> different version? It was in the patch you quoted but probably have not
read.

Hah, you're quite right, I misread. Please accept my apologies for thinking
someone as smart as you could suggest such a bad idea ;)

While it's not inherently terrible, it still comes under the hand-holding
category that bad.port.mk is (fortunately?) lacking in. Bear on mind others
are free to disagree, if you send a PR in porter will definitely give their
opinion. :)

Chris