Problem with nvidia-driver and "X" after upgrade

Carmel carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 26 19:30:50 UTC 2011

After updating my system as per the UPDATING file, I now find that the
Nvidia driver no longer works with Xorg.

From the Xorg.0.log file

(EE) Aug 26 14:46:20 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel
module. Please see the (EE) Aug 26 14:46:20 NVIDIA(0):     system's
kernel log for additional error messages and (EE) Aug 26 14:46:20
NVIDIA(0):     consult the NVIDIA README for details. (EE) NVIDIA(0):
*** Aborting *** (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

When starting "X", I receive a message that the /dev/nvidiactl
file/directory is not accessible. I checked and it does not exist.

I rebuilt the nvidia-driver-270.41.19 port and rebooted the system;
however, the problem still exists. I removed the reference to the
driver from the xorg.conf file and now "X" starts.

Has anyone else experienced this problem after updating the
devel/libnotify and net/libproxy files. That is the only major thing I
have updated recently so I assume it has to be connected to that
somehow.

--
Carmel ✌
carmel_ny at hotmail.com