ruby port downgrade

Chris Rees crees at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 25 12:26:26 UTC 2011

On 25 August 2011 13:01, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:41:48 +0100
> Chris Rees articulated:
>
>> Where have you been? Many people had trouble upgrading, asking on
>> this very list about it, then the default switch was reverted, and
>> again announced on this list.
>>
>> Please check the archive before making more demands on Steve's time.
>
> Many people have problems installing/updating programs on FreeBSD and
> report them here on nearly a daily basis. That is certainly not news.
> There are all ready reported problems with the "libnotify and libproxy"
> updates. Are you inferring that no one should update a port until it
> has been verified as compatible and in proper working order or else
> risk having it reverted? Isn't it the responsibility of who ever
> releases said update into the ports system to verify if correctness? If
> not, then there is a serious deficiency in the entire ports system
> release mechanism. A problem that is becoming more and more profound
> on a nearly daily basis that even a simple perusal of the daily list
> messages would verify.

Do you really think he switched the default without testing? How many
ports depend on ruby, compared to how many people actually maintain
it?

There are always edge cases, and not everything is caught -- ruby19
has been in ports for a long time now [1], and Steve even sent a patch
out for review [2] before committing it -- as usual there was no
public feedback from anyone until it was committed.

> And where do you get off accusing me of violating Steve's time? He
> volunteered an answer, abet not the one I was seeking, but
> never-the-less a response. I certainly did not seek his counsel out.

Common etiquette (as well as the rules of this list) dictates that you
should at least do a search on Google and the list archives before
posting yet another question on the same topic. (there's one I've
picked up by searching for "ruby upgrade failed freebsd" [3])

Chris

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/ruby19/Makefile

[2] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=425540+429185+/usr/local/www/db/text/2011/freebsd-ports/20110814.freebsd-ports

[3] http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.freebsd.ports/browse_thread/thread/9bb9c58da10ae4c9