portmaster -r vs. ports/UPDATING

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 25 10:07:59 UTC 2011

On 08/25/2011 02:55, Henk van Oers wrote:

> [ multi -r arguments ]
>
> In article <xs4all.4E560F4B.40609 at freebsd.org>,
>         Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> writes:
>> On 08/25/2011 01:58, Matthias Andree wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> Perhaps this behaviour could change in a future version of portmaster,
>>
>> Patches are always welcome.
>
> Can I send some money?

Always. :)

http://dougbarton.us/portmaster-proposal.html

> I also want to run portmaster -r without "argument list too long".

That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant about this. Portmaster makes
extensive use of environment variables to cache state about things,
which is one reason it's so fast. However, this can lead to problems
when the environment variables take up so much memory that command lines
for the various system tools called by portmaster take up more space
than is available. Over the last couple of years I've been working on
reducing this, but it's difficult to find the happy medium.

Doug

			-- OK Go