How to deal with conflict between graphics/libGL and x11/nvidia-driver?

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Tue Aug 23 04:22:25 UTC 2011

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the conflict
between the ports libGL and nvidia-driver?

Both install their own version of /usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1.  Obviously,
if you're using the nvidia driver, you need nvidia's version and not
libGL's version, but many other ports also depend on libGL.

I'm not quite sure how to deal with this so that any portupgrades, etc.
won't keep trampling over my nvidia GL libraries.  I was going to use
an ALT_PKGDEP for portupgrade, but the problem is that libGL also
installs some include files that nvidia-driver does not, so that's not
a sufficient solution.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

P.S. Or perhaps the maintainers of these two ports need to put their
heads together and work something out?  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net