PostgreSQL 9.0.4 %%PG_USER%% not changed

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Sun Aug 14 20:01:19 UTC 2011

> [ mantainer added to Cc: ]
>
> On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 18:04:55 +0500, rihad wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have installed the latest
>> postgresql-server-9.0.4_2
>> postgresql-client-9.0.4_1
>>
>> In several places, namely in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql:
>> postgresql_user=${postgresql_user:-"%%PG_USER%%"}
>>
>> and throughout all of /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/502.pgsql
>>
>> %%PG_USER%% is left as is, which should have presumably been changed
>> to pgsql by the installation script.
>> What gives?
>
> Based on a quick glance, it seems that the expansion does occur because
> PG_USER is not set in SUB_LIST.

This commit also changed the ability to configure a different user, as the
pgsql isn't part of the base operating system installation, and having a
configurable user, group and id, allowed users to change what user was
running postgresql as. This is now not the case. This patch was used in
addressing this: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/153668

The aforementioned PR was submitted as a fix for this PR (
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/113707 ) which addressed
the issue in a non-standard way.

I really don't understand why this was done, as this really broke the
essence of why this port was changed to support "any" user one would want
to run the postgresql server as, and now this functionality is gone.

It would be great to see this change back in place so one may run the
server as any user they choose, and not just "pgsql," especially since
this user isn't in the base system.

-jgh