Deprecation: round3

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 3 06:03:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 02:02:39 -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> For the third time, I'm running a deprecation campaign to
>> remove old, unmaintain and/or problematic stuff from the
>> ports tree (ports@)
>>
>> As usual I may be wrong there maybe some false positive,
>> I sharpened a bit my analysis scripts so there should be
>> less false positive in the deprecated ports.
>>
>> While here I have fix and will fix lots of ports master_sites that
>> would be great if you fix as much master sites as you can, this
>> website may help: http://people.freebsd.org/~ehaupt/distilator/
>
> What, exactly, is the significance of the list at
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~ehaupt/distilator/ports@FreeBSD.org-bad.html
> beyond that the ports listed there are unmaintained?
>
> "make fetch" succeeded for every one of the ~150 ports that
> I tried from that list, using the first site it attempted in
> the considerable majority of cases.

Each ports defines a list of mirrors where the distfile should hosted,
and the infrastructure append some FreeBSD mirror for convenience.

the list represent the number of problematic mirrors.

It doen't mean the ports is not fetchable yet, it mean some of its
mirrors do not share the distfile anymore.

One of the job a maintainer has to do is to make sure the list is ok so
that users won't be using failing mirrors.

regards,
Bapt