UPDATING 20110730

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Tue Aug 2 21:09:12 UTC 2011

On 2011-Aug-01 19:21:21 +0200, Michel Talon <talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>This is unfortunately impossible because the ports system is organized
>around a make logic and the relevant dependency variables are only
>obtained through running make on each ports Makefile *in the context* of
>the gigantic makefiles (bsd.port.mk, etc) which are included.

We've had this discussion before but there is plenty of scope for
someone with copious free time to optimise this.  Options include a
new tool that handles the "easy" cases without needing to fully parse
all of bsd.*.mk (and knows to punt the cases it can't handle to make)
and/or pre-precessing bsd.*.mk to speed up their loading.  Note that
about 1/3 of bsd.*.mk is comments.

On 2011-Aug-02 22:12:48 +0300, Andriy Gapon <avg at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>I will repeat myself: currently portmaster's performance relies on
>the fact that certain often used data originating from disk is
>actually cached in memory by the OS.  Typically performance-conscious
>applications explicitly pull such data into an application cache.

An alternative viewpoint is that this is wasteful because data is
then double-buffered.  An alternative view is that the default ZFS
configuration is sub-optimal and should be fixed - rather than
insisting that every tool that accesses more than a handful of
files should do its own caching.

(And, reading zfs-discuss, avg@ is far from the only person to
have been bitten by the ZFS metadata limit).

--
Peter Jeremy