Problem building math/R: texi2dvi needed but missing on your system

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 1 17:00:03 UTC 2011

> I'm trying to build math/R. Compilation went fine, but when I try to
> 'make install' I get the following error:
>
> > ERROR: 'texi2dvi' needed but missing on your system.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/math/R/work/R-2.13.1/doc/manual.
> > *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> > cd: can't cd to /usr/local/lib/R/lib
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/math/R.
>
> I have a texi2dvi4a2ps binary as you can see here.
>
> > # where texi2dvi4a2ps
> > /usr/local/bin/texi2dvi4a2ps
> > # pkg_info -W /usr/local/bin/texi2dvi4a2ps
> > /usr/local/bin/texi2dvi4a2ps was installed by package a2ps-a4-4.13b_4
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem before and can give me some tipps?

As I told Anton a bit earlier, upstream changed the method of building
the dvi manuals (yet again), and I missed this during the update.
This should only affect users who build math/R with the (non-default)
option WITH_DVI_MANUALS.  I hope to fix this soon.  In the meantime,
you can disable this option, build and install R, and either read the
manuals in info format, or build them manually, or grab them from:

http://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html

b.