UPDATING 20110730

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 1 05:57:36 UTC 2011

On 08/01/2011 05:09, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> If for X ports all the relevant data under /var/db/pkg fits into
>> fs cache, then the performance may be blazing, but once you exceed
>> the cache size the performance might become totally different.
>
> and/or the poorly-performing system may have enough less memory than
> the other for paging/swapping to be a factor.

I may not be the smartest guy in the project, but I think that you(pl.)
can reasonably assume that I understand something as fundamental as
"data set fits in RAM means it goes fast." :)  You can also safely
assume that I understand that if portmaster's work causes the cache to
overflow, or the user gets stuck behind a combination of slow disk
and/or a small amount of RAM that performance is going to suck.

My point was simply that there isn't anything I can do about it. Making
sure that the +CONTENTS and +REQUIRED_BY files are up to date is an
important part of portmaster's core functionality.

Unfortunately the only way to improve on this would be to not do the
checks on a port-by-port basis, and do them all together at the end.
While that sounds appealing, it would dramatically increase the code
complexity, and also dramatically increase the chances of leaving the
pkg files in an inconsistent state if the process gets interrupted. I
don't like either one of those options.

Doug

			-- OK Go