How are [MAINTAINER] patches handled and why aren't PRs FIFO?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 27 19:22:55 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 06:45, Jerry wrote:
> I think that 'UPDATING' the PR to let the submitter know
> that he/she has not been forgotten and to keep them aware of any
> problems with the PR is certainly a welcome suggestion. Unfortunately,
> that is rarely presently done.

If the PR is still open, it has not been forgotten. Committers have
limited time available, would you rather have them spend time to make
meaningless changes to open PRs, or would you rather have them spend
that time working on closing some?

> Certainly, we should all be able to come
> to some consensus as to what constitutes a reasonable time frame.

I hear you (and others) saying that they current system does not seem to
be "fair." I can certainly understand why you would feel that way.
Unfortunately, there literally are not any other answers we can provide.
This topic has come up periodically for all the years I've been involved
in FreeBSD (contrary to what someone else said about it having been
easier in "the old days" when the ports tree was smaller) and no one has
come up with an answer for it yet. We try to identify and train new
committers on a fairly aggressive pace, but that is also a volunteer effort.

To summarize, we hear your frustration, and we ask you to be patient.

Doug

			-- OK Go