How are [MAINTAINER] patches handled and why aren't PRs FIFO?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Wed Apr 27 12:54:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:00:17 +0100
Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> articulated:

> How do you define respect? I find the committers extremely respectful.

Allowing a submitter to languish for an indeterminate period without
any notification of what is transpiring with his/her submission is not
respectful, it is benign neglect.

As I stated, each submitted item should be handled in a basic FIFO
order unless there is a specific reason for not doing so. If such
reason exists then the original submitter should be informed of this
irregularity. Waiting for months while items submitted after the
submitter's item are approved without notifying the submitter of why is
certainly not friendly or respectful, unless of course you work for
the motor vehicle or parking department in which case it is just
business as usual.

I have been at both extremes of the spectrum on this, having had items
committed within days and conversely waiting for an extended period of
time and finally asking specifically why an item was not committed
before anything happened. The present system is broken, or at the very
least poorly implemented, unless the goal is to keep a submitter in the
dark. I reiterate, there is no logical reason to jump over one user's
submission and proceed with another user's submission without formally
notifying the submitter of the older item why his/her item is being
bypassed.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+ports at seibercom.net