How are [MAINTAINER] patches handled and why aren't PRs FIFO?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Wed Apr 27 11:54:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:57:47 +0400
arrowdodger <6yearold at gmail.com> articulated:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:05 AM, John Marino <freebsdml at marino.st>
> wrote:
>
> > Several days ago, I submitted a patch for a port I maintain:
> > ports/156541     "[MAINTAINER] Upgrade lang/gnat-aux to release
> > version and add C++"
> >
> > Nobody has touched it, but many other PRs after that submission
> > have been assigned, etc.
>
> Ha, i've submitted mine about two months ago and still no luck.

Personally, I believe that the current system, if not partially broken,
is far from ideal. I would prefer to see a system where each submitted
PR is assigned a specific number (I believe it is actually) and then
assigned in numeric order to the next available committer. That
committer would then be responsible for either committing the
PR/Port/Whatever within a preset time frame, or informing the original
submitter why the said article was not/could not be approved at the
present time. Allowing a submitter to languish while pondering what has
become of their document certainly does seem justified.

I am sure that the old, "But they are all volunteers", or some such
tirade will erupt. It must be remembered that those who submit items for
approval are also volunteers. They deserve at least as much respect as
those who are actively working on those submitted items.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+ports at seibercom.net