nVidia BLOB driver

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Apr 19 11:44:06 UTC 2011

I have some questions about the state of the x11/nvidia-driver.

At the moment, the "stable" driver is beyond version number 260.XX, but
FreeBSD's port contain only version 256.53. Is there a reason why there
is no more recent version in the ports?
The next question is about a problem with nVidia NV560Ti boards. They ar
not supported yet by any "official" driver, even not by any Linux BLOB,
but there seems to be a "Beta" driver that already has support for this
kind of board. Are the efforts and costs too high to provide a BETA
driver, like x11/nvidia-driver-beta?

And the last question is about the place where the nVidia binary driver
is kept. I tried to look for it intuitively at folder x11-driver. Is
there a reason why this BLOB is kept outside the x11-driver folder?

Oliver