Howl port - deprecated?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Tue Apr 19 07:25:55 UTC 2011

On 4/19/11 12:01 AM, Paul Donovan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice the the Howl port's status is Deprecated with the reason given as
> 'Upstream disapear and distfile is no more available'. See:
> http://www.FreshPorts.org/net/howl/
>
> However, Howl is still listed at freshmeat.net
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/howl and the download link for the tar.gz on
> that page still works. It in fact goes to the original developer's site at
> http://www.porchdogsoft.com/download/howl-1.0.0.tar.gz, so it looks like
> the only thing that's missing is the project information page itself at
> porchdogsoft.com
>
> I don't really know what this deprecated state means for the future of
> this port, but as a small lightweight alternative to the only other
> Zeroconf implementation (avahi) I think many people would appreciate it
> still being available.

I turned howl back over to ports@ a long time ago when I moved to using
and maintaining avahi.  Since it remained unmaintained, it was marked
deprecated.  Avahi now has full howl compatibility support.  If you want
to assume maintainership of howl, it can remain a viable alternative to
avahi.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke