Fuse and s3fs

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Sat Apr 9 09:27:40 UTC 2011

> 	Ivan Voras <mailto:ivoras at freebsd.org>
> April 8, 2011 10:03 AM
>

> The newer version of fuse likely requires additions to the kernel
> module, so it is no use to simply update the libs port.
>
> There is a Google Summer of Code project to finish the FUSE kernel
> module and it will hopefully update FUSE to a newer version.

Ahh, that's useful to know, thanks!

Would it be possible to update s3fs while leaving the version of FUSE as
is? It looks like s3fs-1.19 is the last version that works on versions
of FUSE less than 2.8.4, hence my curiosity here.

I did give this a try, but the configure script could not find
libcrypto. I do have the Linux emulation module and port installed going
and I'm assuming it was looking for this in the Linux paths? Would I be
wasting my time trying to get this working in the Linux emulated
environment? I'm also assuming that the FreeBSD port of s3fs does not
use Linux emulation, could I piggyback off of it?

> 	Joe Auty <mailto:joe at netmusician.org>
> April 8, 2011 1:29 AM
>

> Hello,
>
> I'd really like to get the s3fs FUSE file systems to work in FreeBSD,
> but the most recent versions of s3fs (which I'm most interested in
> using) require FUSE 2.8.4 or higher, and the ports collection only
> includes 2.7.4.
>
> What would take to update the fusefs-libs port? Since this port includes
> patches I'm unsure about whether simply skipping the patches and trying
> to build the newest version will work and/or yield positive results, and
> the current patches do not seem to work with FUSE 2.8.5.
>
> Any info on the status of this port and how difficult it would be to
> update this? An s3fs port (http://code.google.com/p/s3fs/) would also be
> very cool, and probably low dangling fruit with an up-to-date FUSE port.
>
> Thanks in advance for any info and help you have regarding this port :)

Joe Auty, NetMusician
NetMusician helps musicians, bands and artists create beautiful,
professional, custom designed, career-essential websites that are easy
to maintain and to integrate with popular social networks.
www.netmusician.org <http://www.netmusician.org>
joe at netmusician.org <mailto:joe at netmusician.org>