Automating Port Building- Setting options on the command line

Patrick Powell papowell at astart.com
Fri Apr 1 01:04:02 UTC 2011

On 03/31/11 17:48, Jason Helfman wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 05:49:06PM -0700, Patrick Powell thus spake:
>> First,  before you tell me to do it,  I have already RTFM, done a google
>> search,
>> and even looked for examples.   Here is what I am trying to do.
>>
>> I have to generate a set of packages for amd64 and i386 systems.
>>
>> I usually have a simple script that does:
>>
>> cd /usr/ports/XXX
>> make
>> make install
>> make package
>> cp <generated package> /.../repository
>>

>> This served my simple needs well,  as most of the time I had gone
>> through
>> the configuration process and set up the default options that I wanted.
>>
>> But this requires me to
>> a)  run through this process once by hand
>> b)  copy the /var/db/ports/* to a machine with another
>>      architecture
>> c)  pray that the port options are the same on the i386 and amd64
>>      versions.
>>

>> What I would like to do is pass in a set of default options on the
>> command line
>> such as:
>>
>> cd /usr/ports/lang/php5-extensions
>> make configure THIS=yes THAT=no
>> make
>> make install
>> make package
>>
>> I just know that somebody out there is doing this better, slicker,
>> and with more savvy than I am doing this.
>>
>> OK.  How do I do this?   And just in case there are some others out
>> there,
>> could you put this information,  or a hint to it,  in the ports(7)
>> document?
>>
>> --
>> Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies
>> papowell at astart.com            1530 Jamacha Road, Suite X,
>> Network and System             San Diego, CA 92019
>>   Consulting                   858-874-6543
>> Web Site: www.astart.com
>>
> IMHO it is time you look into the wonders of Tinderbox.
>
> http://tinderbox.marcuscom.com/
>
> -jgh

OK, I ripped the tinderbox documentation.  It is,  more than likely,
based on my 20 minute reading,
going to do EXACTLY what I want.   However,  I think I might add that
there is a bit of a learning
curve here - actually,  more like a learning 'splat against a brick
wall'.  Ok,  if it needs tinderbox,
then I will learn tinderbox.

BUT!!! Is there an idiot simple, put this on the command line
alternative to this to handle the 3 (three)
!@#$!@#$!@#$ ports that require me to hand tune them?

Patrick ("This is the Brick Wall that we hit during development.  And
those are the bodies
     of the developers") Powell