Automating Port Building- Setting options on the command line

Patrick Powell papowell at astart.com
Fri Apr 1 00:49:10 UTC 2011

First,  before you tell me to do it,  I have already RTFM, done a google
search,
and even looked for examples.   Here is what I am trying to do.

I have to generate a set of packages for amd64 and i386 systems.

I usually have a simple script that does:

cd /usr/ports/XXX
make
make install
make package
cp <generated package> /.../repository

This served my simple needs well,  as most of the time I had gone through
the configuration process and set up the default options that I wanted.

But this requires me to
a)  run through this process once by hand
b)  copy the /var/db/ports/* to a machine with another
      architecture
c)  pray that the port options are the same on the i386 and amd64
      versions.

What I would like to do is pass in a set of default options on the
command line
such as:

cd /usr/ports/lang/php5-extensions
make configure THIS=yes THAT=no
make
make install
make package

I just know that somebody out there is doing this better, slicker,
and with more savvy than I am doing this.

OK.  How do I do this?   And just in case there are some others out there,
could you put this information,  or a hint to it,  in the ports(7) document?

--
Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies
papowell at astart.com            1530 Jamacha Road, Suite X,