Using portmaster with different PYTHON_VERSION

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 03:40:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:53 AM, Klaus T. Aehlig <aehlig-bsd at linta.de> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> sorry for the noise.
>
>> > MASTERDIR= ${.CURDIR}/../py-httplib2
>>
>> shouldn't that be
>>
>> MASTERDIR=${PORTSDIR}/www/py-httplib2
>>
>> Or have I misunderstood something here?
>
> I obviously did. At least the example in porters' handbook and
> all slave ports use ${.CURDIR}/../ Could some help me improve
> my understanding and explain why it is preferable to refer to the
> location of the current port in the file system rathen than to a
> particular port in the ports tree?

Using this Makefile:

#

.include "${PORTSDIR}/www/py-httplib2

will cause make to try to access the www/py-httplib2 directory in the
current directory.

The reason is because PORTSDIR has not been defined at this point.
The PORTSDIR variable is defined in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk. Also
bsd.port.mk  doesn't get included until after the master port's
Makefile gets included.

This is the reason why slave ports use:

MASTERDIR= ${.CURDIR}/../<master port>

.include "${MASTERDIR}/Makefile"