Upgrading Samba

Bob Eager rde at tavi.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 22:17:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:04:08 +0200
Andrea Venturoli <ml at netfence.it> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm using a 7.2/amd386 (soon to be 7.3) as PDC with Samba 3.0.37.
> Since I have to add a Windows 7 machine, I need to upgrade to 3.4.x.
>
> Is this as simple as removing the port and installing the new one?
>
> I have no BDC, I'm not using LDAP or WinBind or anything fancy.
> I do use pam_smb though (shouldn't matter, but I thought I'd write
> this :-).

I did this a while ago for the same reason.

My logbook says that it wanted to use /var/run/samba34 (a directory)
instead of the previous default. That was easy.

Also that smbd wouldn't start because it needed the avahi-app package
(and dependencies) but this presumably wasn't listed as a dependency
because I had to install it by hand.

I had to re-add the user rights for some reason - YMMV - this may be
the use of different directories for 3.4.

Probably wasn't necessary, but I moved smbusers
to /usr/local/etc/samba34, and updated smb.conf.

I can't remember how much of the above turned out to be essential.