ptlib build failure - breaks pwlib - hence also asterisk - opal - & openh323

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Tue Sep 21 09:34:11 UTC 2010

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:29:00PM +0100, David Southwell wrote:
> >    >> Does SSL from ports declare something that we can #ifdef around? I
> >
> >    don't
> >
> >    > really use pwlib anymore. If you can produce a patch that fixes your
> >
> >    issue
> >
> >    > without breaking the case of using system openssl I'll happly give
> >    > it
> >
> >    the
> >
> >    > nod. ports/pwlib is very old. Everything should be moving to
> >    > ports/ptlib
> >    >
> >    > (2.4) or ports/ptlib26
> >
> >    Thanks for your reply.
> >
> >    IMHO The problem is ptlibs AND ptlib26. Both these ports seem to be
> >    the cause of the problem. pwlib tries to build ptlib and that build
> >    fails. ptlib26 fails with the same error.
>
> Actually not. pwlib _IS_ ptlib just a very old version. It doesn't build
> ptlib or ptlib26.
>
> >    I think you have your finger on the pulse... both ptlib AND ptlib26
> >    need to address the way they use openssl but I do not know how to do
> >    that!
>
> Heh. Until someone who cares does know then its not likely to get fixed. As
> I said, I don't even use anymore so I have no test/develpment platform.

I would have thought as you are listed as the maintainer for two of the
affected ports you might have some reason for caring!

I had the crazy idea that all the maintainers on the hook might be able to
collaborate to deal with a common interest.

Maintainers on the hook as listed in the relevant Makefiles  are:

ptlib -- lihong at ieee.org
ptlib26 -- melifaro at ipfw.ru
pwlib -- steve at energistic.com
openh323 -- steve at energistic.com
opal mi at aldan.algebra.com
asterisk sobomax at FreeBSD.org

Seriously this issue needs a solution.

David
_________________________
PS

> >    David
> >
> >    PS Would you mind not top posting
>
> Seriously? Top posting is somehow worse than scrolling to the bottom of
> pages of compile output to see a tiny response? Welcome to the 21st
> century.

Why scroll?? - Be flexible like your computer.

The modern method is to use an appropriate control key combination. Try Ctrl
End -- on freebsd 7.2 p3 it is the default way to get your cursor to the last
line of a reply with no fuss.

If you want to be super efficient a simple  script will automatically launch
your reply with your cursor at the bottom! You can then post knowing  people
will be able to read the discussion in a logical sequence. People read
discussions downwards not upwards !

not understand how people read maillists!
> > > How do you recognise people with relatively short experience?
>  > Millions join every week
> How fast is the internet expanding?

Photographic Artist
Permanent Installations & Design
Creative Imagery and Advanced Digital Techniques
High Dynamic Range Photography & Official Portraiture
Combined darkroom & digital creations
& Systems Adminstrator for the vizion2000.net network