Distributed Version Control for ports(7) ( was: Re: autoconf update )

jhell jhell at dataix.net
Mon Sep 20 07:53:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 03:17, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
In Message-Id: <174981284967033 at web24.yandex.ru>

>> 1). http://bit.ly/d5UrtN
>>
>> 2). http://www.keltia.net/BSDCan/paper.pdf
>>
>> 3). http://bit.ly/97Y8Xi
>>
>> 4). Because CVS just does not do any of this.
>>
>> Make your final comparison here:
>> http://bit.ly/cyQBn8
>>
>> For the sake of argument can you think of any reason to not switch ?
>

> Why not Git?
> Or you prefer to manage ports tree from Windows?

For one it really has a steeper learning curve for the interface than what
mercurial presents. It presents a lot of information upfront to the user
which tends to be overwhelming in some cases. GIT is nice, I like its
speed but I have more of a preference to mercurial than anything else. I
also like the fact that mercurial makes direct use of the python language
but this is not really for this thread and could lead off in directions
that were not intended.

I do not do any development for anything to do with FreeBSD in a Window$
environment, Its not needed for me to do so because I always have access
to a command line wherever I go. If the time comes and I would need to,
it is nice to know that there is a front-end for Mercurial on Window$.

Thanks for inquiring,

--

  jhell,v