autoconf update

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 18 11:14:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:12:02 +0200
Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de> wrote:

> On 17/09/2010 06:41, Doug Barton wrote:

> >> We shouldn't use our users to beta-test infrastructure changes.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm not feeling well atm and realize that I didn't write
> > what I was thinking here. What I intended to say was that we _don't_
> > intentionally use the ports system to force our users to beta test
> > changes. I think it goes without saying that we _shouldn't_ do this,
> > although I think that changes like this are a platinum-coated
> > example of why we need to have -stable and -dev branches for ports.
>
> I used to disagree with this, because I thought it would create
> additional work load.

Indeed. And the increase it's not linear.

> I have come to think more favourably of the idea, because you can
> make more daring commits on a -dev branch and don't have to quick-fix
> everything that goes wrong.

Oh? (Not that I think fixes are being done that quick right now.)
You need to do it fast, except for tip ports, because ports depend one
on an other.

> Also the time between a MFC does not have to be very long. A week
> should be more than enough time to uncover and solve all problems.
> So the delay to get updates and fixes on the -stable branch is not
> very long.

So you'd need a large userbase running -dev ports and updating very
frequently.

My2c: let's concentrate on pkg_install for now.

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B