editors/vim installs to /

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 17 20:54:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 09:21:46PM +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:
> 2010/9/17 jhell <jhell at dataix.net>:
> >
> > After a force upgrade of vim that had failed unfortunately not
> > registering the files it installed already I found out that it is
> > installing to / ~!!!!! ugh.
> >
> > Why is ${PREFIX} being used and not ${LOCALBASE} ???

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/150649

There's that PR which is probably related but it's a bit light on useful
information.

> No,
>
> ${PREFIX} is the good variable to specify the installation directory,
> of course if you set this the port will probably install its files in
> the user-defined ${PREFIX}.
>
> I'm writing the rewrite of the port to update vim to 7.3 and with a
> real OPTIONS framework and remove the stupid WITH_VIM_OPTIONS KNOB
> that doesn't work. The problem is that David doesn't like clean things
> and I think he won't commit it because it won't be enough complicated.

While I agree that editors/vim could use the changes you're discussing,
do you really think such a comment is needed? Attacks like that are not
necessary. Let your code speak for itself.

-- WXS