[ports/net/isc-dhcp*] Don't stop DHCP related daemons

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Wed Sep 15 08:55:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 06:22:24PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

[...]

> I can think of at least one more scenario off the top of my head. You
> want to run the new version of the service the next time the box is
> restarted for whatever reason, but the update is not so critical that it
> justifies restarting the system immediately.

Do 'you' (generic) -really- want to do this? 'This', in this case
being making a change without testing what will happen when the
machine or service is next restarted?  One of the things I've
learned is that things aren't always perfect, and, if I change
service <X> in some way, then I want to test that .../rc.d/<X>
actually does what I want/expect next time it runs.

As I noted before, if by chance something is wrong, I want to
know -now-, while the server/service is being maintained, not at
some random later date.

I am not coming down on either side of the 'automation' issue, as
I think that I can see points on both sides; I'm just suggesting
that this argument is not a good one.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL