[ports/net/isc-dhcp*] Don't stop DHCP related daemons

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 12 06:46:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 06:45:47 +0800
Denny Lin <dennylin93 at hs.ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 11:35:43PM +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Ion-Mihai Tetcu
> > <itetcu at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > > This 'stop the service before we install' seems to be a new
> > > fashion, usually unneeded/disruptive.
> > > IMO this should only happen when it's really needed, and with
> > > some big warning printed.
> > >

> > And perhaps with a restart service attempt afterwards? (maybe
> > interactive as in "do you want me to restart the service y/n?")
> > Just my 0.02 euros.
>
> How about knobs like WITH_STOP_SERVICE and WITH_START_SERVICE for
> users who wish to avoid the y/n questions?

We have a standard policy of not auto-starting anything.
We really don't want a service to be stated automatically after install
(think: I installed this today, I'll configure it how I need it
tomorrow, then start the service).
And you can't really know if it's a new install or an upgrade.

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B