[ports/net/isc-dhcp*] Don't stop DHCP related daemons

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 11 14:34:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 22:29:02 +0900
Norikatsu Shigemura <nork at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hi wxs and jpaetzel.
>
> 	I noticed that dhcpd server stoped after portupgrade,
> sometimes. It's a painful accident on my network.  Because I didn't
> notice some troubles:-(.
>
> 	Why do you stop the daemons? Is it really absolutely necessary
> 	to stop a service before it's files go away?
>
> 	SEE ALSO:
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html#AEN5402
>
> $ grep forcestop isc-dhcp*/pkg-plist
> isc-dhcp31-relay/pkg-plist:@unexec %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcrelay.sh
> forcestop 2>/dev/null || true isc-dhcp31-relay/pkg-plist:@unexec
> %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcrelay forcestop 2>/dev/null || true
> isc-dhcp31-server/pkg-plist:@unexec %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd.sh
> forcestop 2>/dev/null || true isc-dhcp31-server/pkg-plist:@unexec
> %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd forcestop 2>/dev/null || true
> isc-dhcp41-relay/pkg-plist:@unexec %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcrelay.sh
> forcestop 2>/dev/null || true isc-dhcp41-relay/pkg-plist:@unexec
> %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcrelay forcestop 2>/dev/null || true
> isc-dhcp41-server/pkg-plist:@unexec %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd forcestop
> 2>/dev/null || true
>
> 	I want to remove these lines in pkg-plist.

This 'stop the service before we install' seems to be a new fashion,
usually unneeded/disruptive.
IMO this should only happen when it's really needed, and with some big
warning printed.

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B