portmanager endlessly looping in x11

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Thu Sep 9 00:25:08 UTC 2010

On 09/08/10 18:15, Jerry wrote:

> Portmanager did have a nasty bug that involved looping. It was fixed
> ages ago though. Are you running the latest version; i.e., "0.4.1_9" on
> your system? Run "portmanager -v" to confirm.
>
> Without the '-p' option, portmanager only looks 1 level deep. with the
> '-p' option, it will search the entire dependency chain. I always use
> the '-p' option and never experience any problems described by you.

Not sure if the -p does that or not, but I *did* read (more than just a few
times) about the -p (meaning "pristine") option, and from the reading, it
doesn't tell me that it might affect looping, and I didn't see anything about it
in the man page.  I didn't just try it and immediately mail, I tried to DTRT.

Doesn't matter too much to me now, because I really love the fact that I did 4
*very* large (meaning lengthy dependency lists) ports, with 100% 1st-time
accuracy, which means I will stay  with portmaster for sure now.  Also, because
those ports are now all installed, and I don't want to take a few days to
rebuild everything all over again.

It looks like, in the default case, portmanager detects more problems than it
deals with, which is not a desirable default action.  It's probably a needed
default action for some use case ... do you happen to know what that is?