XPI infrastructure needs some love

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 8 02:39:41 UTC 2010

On 09/07/2010 01:20 PM, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> For those that we are simply
>> repackaging, what's the value in doing that, vs. simply allowing
>> users to download them from mozilla's site?
>
> Well, in vastly multi-user places there might of course be good reasons
> to have a single centralized package instead of
> one-for-each-user-account, but OTOH... places like that are not much
> more used in this a-few-PCs-per-household world we currently live in.

I maintain my own archive for my personal platforms (multibooting
different OS', re-installing not-infrequently) because it makes it
easier to keep things consistent, amongst other reasons. For the purpose
you describe FreeBSD packages are neither useful nor desirable since the
individual user still has to install the thing.

> Still, I feel that as a *somewhat cleaner* choice and go to the extent
> of creating a port for every extension I do use (on my single-user
> machines), but I'm not quite sure I'd be able to justify that with real
> arguments other than a warm fuzzy feeling. ;)

My concern with this for some time is that there is little to no actual
benefit for the vast majority of these ports, however they do consume
resources. Admittedly not an overwhelming number of resources, but given
the fact that ports/package resources are stretched thin, and we'd like
to expand support for packages going forward, I think we need to
carefully evaluate these choices, especially given that we're losing
maintainers. As a quick overview I did a find for ports with xpi in the
name and there are well over 100. That doesn't include other ports with
different naming conventions.

My suggestion is that we simply eliminate these ports altogether, but I
realize that's not likely to happen. :)

Doug

			-- Propellerheads