Which DEPENDS if something is just needed during port install

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Mon Sep 6 21:13:16 UTC 2010

Matthias Andree <mandree at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Am 06.09.2010 07:32, schrieb Dominic Fandrey:
> > What kind of dependency should I define if I just need something
> > for the install target? It's not needed before, not after and
> > not for the package.
> >
> > I used to think it's INSTALL_DEPENDS, but I just found out, that
> > doesn't even exist.
>
> BUILD_DEPENDS should do, no?  Your dependency may then be built
> too early, but it's not recorded for later (unlike RUN_DEPENDS).

It seems as if BUILD_DEPENDS should be _sufficient_ unless the
dependency is needed to install the package as well as to install
the port, but it demands more than is _necessary_ since the
dependency is not needed to simply build (without also installing).

That said, I'm finding it hard to imagine a situation in which
something fancy is needed just to _install_ a port or package.  I'd
expect installation to require nothing more complicated than copying
files from the build tree into the appropriate subdirector{y,ies} of
/usr/local/ and perhaps creating dedicated user identities.  More
detail of the situation might help.