Portmaster 3.1 upgrade

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 21:59:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31/10/2010 17:56, Freddie Cash wrote:
>> The correct command is:  pkg_delete -xf portmaster
>>
>> -x does name globbing internally to pkg_delete, and should be used
>> over any shell globbing (like *).
>
> So dogmatic.  '-x' is one alternative.  A globbing expression is
> another.  Either can be useful, and either should be used at will and as
> circumstances warrant.
>
> Also note that
>
>   pkg_delete -xf portmaster
>
> is technically not equivalent to
>
>   pkg_delete -f portmaster\*
>
> Instead it's equivalent to
>
>   pkg_delete -f \*portmaster\*

Which is why I mentioned the "more safe" alternative, which you
snipped out of your reply:
  pkg_delete -xif portmaster

Note the extra "i" in the middle, which makes the pkg_delete call
interactive, showing the package name to be deleted, and asking the
user whether that's the correct package to be deleted.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com