Virtualbox UI and remote X clients

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 22 22:04:49 UTC 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 16:21 , Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
> Could you please post that errors?

freebsd% setenv DISPLAY remote:0
freebsd% VirtualBox

Wait for UI to pop up, click on 'Settings' for any virtual host, VirtualBox crashes with:

Qt WARNING: QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current.
Segmentation fault

(remote) in this case has been (so far):

MacOSX 10.6 with Apple's X11.app
MacOSX 10.6 with XQuartz.app
Windows XP with cygwin/X
Windows 7 with cygwin/X
Xvnc on the FreeBSD box, then using either the Mac or Windows box to fire up a vnc client to get to the Xvnc.

> It sounds like an upstream bug so it
> would be good to collect a few details like why it happens on your
> system bug I cannot reproduce it here with Intel graphics.

Please re-read what I said.  The host machine (running the virtualboxes) has NO graphics of any kind.  It's FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE/amd64 hooked up to a VT320 terminal as a serial console.  It has X11 libraries and the various toolkits (QT etc) installed, but no Xorg server (other than Xvnc), no X11 drivers (graphics/keyboard/mouse).

3.2.8 was fine
3.2.8_1 broke things
3.2.10 (unsurprisingly) hasn't changed

-aDe