new version of postgresql port

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Oct 7 12:52:35 UTC 2010

Hello.
I've seen interesting commit message in postgresql90-server port: "Also,
try to break the previous 1:1 relation between FreeBSD system and
PostgreSQL versions installed. Use different PREFIX:es to install
different versions on the same system."

I've fetched new version of ports and tried to install postgresql84 from
ports with default prefix and later - postgresql90 with non-default prefix.

I managed to install postgresql90-client and
postgresql84-{server,client}. However, while building
postgresql90-server I received

pgtest# make PREFIX=/usr/local/postgresql/9.0 install
===>  postgresql-server-9.0.1 cannot install: the port wants
postgresql90-client but you have postgresql84-client installed.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/databases/postgresql90-server.

The problem comes from 186 line of /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.database.mk. It
must be modified to allow such things.
Also, it seems that PREFIX modification is not sufficient: we should
have some specific postgresql files in /usr/local/etc/periodic and
several startup scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,