ident strings in pkg-plist

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 3 22:58:03 UTC 2010

Changing the list to have a real discussion about this.

On 10/3/2010 3:49 PM, John Hein wrote:
> I'll mention that
> it has come in handy for me in the past.  I put it into the category
> of ident strings in binaries.  It has a similar utility.
>
> Because I find it useful in maintaining and using a port/package,
> I've been one that has added it to pkg-plist in the past.

I'm curious about what your use case for the information is. You can
always know if you have the latest version of the plist via cvs,
c[v]sup, portsnap, etc. Other than knowing that you have the latest
version, what utility does the $Id string in the file itself have?

Doug

--

Breadth of IT experience, and    |   Nothin' ever doesn't change,
depth of knowledge in the DNS.   |   but nothin' changes much.