porting: Linux to Freebsd
Julian H. Stacey
jhs at berklix.com
Sat Oct 2 12:46:29 UTC 2010
> On 02/10/2010 07:42:30, Chetan Shukla wrote:
> > Could someone please outline the steps needed in porting a general appl=
> ication from
> > Linux to FreeBSD.
> Step 1) Spend time (probably several years) achieving a reasonable level
> of expertise in the languages and concepts involved.
> Step 8) Goto step 4.
> Perhaps you might ask a more narrowly specified question? The answers
> will likely be a lot more useful to you.
First check if the port already exists
If no money:
- A few years academic study helps
- Obtain source code, check licence.
- Read sources.
- Read relevant FreeBSD manuals & documentation
- If stuck, post exact questions to lists specific to whatever aspect.
- Feed code extensions back to generic source owner.
- Use send-pr to give us a working ports/ wrapper.
If you have money but want details confidential,
Hire a professional consultant.
Here's a geographicly indexed list:
PS more consultants welcome to add their details, see page for format.
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
Mail plain text; Not HTML, quoted-printable & base 64 spam formats.
Avoid top posting, It cripples itemised cumulative responses.
More information about the freebsd-ports