editors/vim installs to /

Rob Farmer rfarmer at predatorlabs.net
Sat Oct 2 11:38:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 23:02, David O'Brien <obrien at nuxi.org> wrote:
> For gtk1, I have 13 packages that require it.  For gtk2, I have 49
> packages that require it.  So I agree their are significantly more ports
> that depend on gtk2 -- and thus little way to avoid having it installed
> on one's system.
>
> Thoughts?

In my experience, unless you choose one of the minimalist window
managers and are very selective about what you install, GTK 2 might as
well be part of X. x11/xorg, with default options, pulls in 90% of GTK
2 dependencies via sysutils/hal and avoiding the rest means no
firefox, which alone is probably a dealbreaker for most people.

I personally like Ade's suggestion, since it makes a gui opt-in for an
application that functions perfectly well without one.

--
Rob Farmer