editors/vim installs to /

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 2 06:50:11 UTC 2010

On Oct 02, 2010, at 01:02 , David O'Brien wrote:
> I guess its time to take another survey.  Is Vim one of the few last
> gtk1 consumers?

Without touching on any of the other issues, yes, indeed, (a) gtk v1 is abandonware and (b) vim-with-defaults is one of the last major consumers of gtk1.

If I may be so bold, allow me to offer up an alternative.

editors/vim       -- fully functional console-only (no X11)
editors/vim-lite  -- stripped down version (again, no X11, perhaps even linked static for use within embedded systems)
editors/vim-gui   -- take your pick.  X11 is implied.  athena/motif widgets are pretty much dead, so unless there's a QT version floating around, GTK2.

vim is the MASTER, vim-lite slave strips stuff out of vim, vim-gui adds stuff to vim.  Might even be able to avoid the whole OPTIONS issue (which I'm purposefully not touching on here) with this kind of setup.

-aDe