CFR: patch to cleanup usage of SRC_BASE in various ports

Ganael LAPLANCHE ganael.laplanche at martymac.org
Tue Nov 30 21:35:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:09:35 -0600, Ade Lovett wrote

Hi Ade, hi Mark !

> > Patch incorporating these suggestions, along with some other edge
> > cases I found, uploaded:
> >
> >  http://people.freebsd.org/~linimon/patches/diff.out.srcbase
>
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~ade/bpm.src_base.diff
>
> Trivial addition to Mk/bsd.port.mk to prevent duplication of
> SRC_BASE?= ... in individual port Makefiles.

Good patches, thanks ! But couldn't we extend this idea ?

Most of the time, ${SRC_BASE} is used to check whether some file
(mostly ${SRC_BASE}/sys/Makefile) exists or not, to return,
most of the time, the same error :

"you need to extract kernel source tree before building this package"

It would be interesting to provide something like :

USE_BASE= yes
Which would do the following :
 => defines ${SRC_BASE}
 => checks for ${SRC_BASE}/sys/Makefile
 => provides a standard error msg if not found

or, if set to something other than yes :

USE_BASE= some/file/within/src_base
 => defines ${SRC_BASE}
 => check for ${SRC_BASE}/some/file/within/src_base
 => provides a standard error msg if not found

Thus, we would avoid having the same tests again and again, and be
able to provide more "standard" messages...

What do you think ?

--
Ganael LAPLANCHE <ganael.laplanche at martymac.org>
http://www.martymac.org | http://contribs.martymac.org