becoming a port committor

Beech Rintoul beech at akherb.com
Mon Nov 22 04:24:41 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 November 2010 15:12:08 Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Jonathan <jonathan at kc8onw.net> wrote:
> > On 11/20/2010 11:57 PM, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> >> Contribute approx. 50 pr's with patches that are consistently coded and
> >> prove
> >> to work (and in the right format) no shar files please.
> >
> > Does the Porter's Handbook need to be updated then?  It explicitly says
> > to use shar files to send ports in section 3.6, or where you referring
> > specifically to patches and not full ports?
>
> That is my understanding at least:
> shar for new ports
> diffs for patches and updates to existing ports.
>
> HTH

That is correct, although it is possible to use a unified diff with the "-N"
flag against a non existent source. The problem is too many contributors send
in update pr's in shar format which are a real PITA to deal with from our end.

You may notice that many pr's aren't picked up by committers for just that
reason.

In the above I was referring to updates, not new ports.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \ - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/8.0R/announce.html