Renaming a shared library in the port-framework to match FreeBSD naming schemes?

Koop Mast kwm at rainbow-runner.nl
Fri Nov 19 13:01:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:32:33 +0100
"O. Hartmann" <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello.
> Trying to do my first port and run into trouble.
> The software package (Xerces-c 3.1.1) comes with a full autotoll
> environment and so far building and installing works.
>
> But the libarary name is "libxerces-c-3.1.so" and I need to change this
> to respect the FreeBSD nameing schemes to "libxerces-c.so.31". I'm
> looking for a way avoiding some "post-install:" stuff.

There isn't any problem with the libxerces-c-3.1.so name.
From http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/special.html
Try to keep shared library version numbers in the libfoo.so.0 format.
Our runtime linker only cares for the major (first) number.

> Is it possible to manipulate the library name via some variables passed
> through the port-framework to the build-enviroment?

There isn't. We leave the library name just like upstream/author wants it to be. We only hack the library version if needed.

-Koop