xorg-server 1.7.7

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Nov 14 19:24:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> on 14/11/2010 18:18 Warren Block said the following:
>> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>
>>> I agree, but I am not sure how in the ports land we do an application testing in
>>> general.  That is, I am sure there will be a lot of testers if the port update
>>> is actually committed :-) but I am not sure how to test it in advance (given all
>>> the possible hardware and software configurations).
>>
>> Why not just create a new xorg-server177 or xorg-server-devel port as has been
>> done with other ports?
>
> Would it be really worth it?
> 1.7.7 is just couple of minor releases ahead of what we have now and the latest
> _release_ is 1.9.2.
> So, xorg-server-devel for 1.9.2 - that would make sense for my taste.
> xorg-server-devel for 1.7.7 - just an overcautiousness and, IMO, a waste of
> resources.

It would depend on how compatible the newer server is with the existing
xorg ports.  But sure, go with the newest one that still works.

If these ports are too shaky for normal users, they wouldn't even have
to go in the tree.  Put them on a web page somewhere.  But this would
ast least allow a wider range of testing.