xorg-server 1.7.7

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Sat Nov 13 19:36:56 UTC 2010

on 13/11/2010 21:25 Mark Linimon said the following:
> There's this whole "testing" thing :-)

So, I thought taht I contributed one test report already :-)

> xorg seems to have an amazing ability to introduce regressions, especially
> in edge cases/older hardware.  Each of the last N updates has been preceded
> by a lot of staging/testing, and even so, created a lot of work to clean
> everything up.

I think that you refer to upgrades of the "Xorg bundle" as a whole.
Not sure if we've had any problems like that when upgrading between minor
versions of a single module, even such as xorg server.

> So, in theory, it's easy, but in practice, it requires someone(s) with a lot
> of time and dedication.
>
> We certainly need one or more such people right now!

I agree, but I am not sure how in the ports land we do an application testing in
general.  That is, I am sure there will be a lot of testers if the port update
is actually committed :-) but I am not sure how to test it in advance (given all
the possible hardware and software configurations).

--
Andriy Gapon