Combining several upgrades using portmaster

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 9 17:19:24 UTC 2010

On 11/09/2010 06:09, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:
> Hello!
>
>    I wonder whether it's possible to automatically combine several
> upgrades using portmaster. Suppose one have to handle both
> ports/UPDATING entries:
>
> 20100530: suggests portmaster -w -r gettext
>
> 20100328: suggests portmaster -r png-
>
> It would be nice to combine them as ' portmaster -w -r gettext -r
> png-' to prevent double upgrade of relevant packages; however '-r' can
> be specified only once according to manpage. I've handled this by
> running both commands, replying 'n' to 'Proceed?' question, merging
> resulting origin list with sort|uniq and feeding it back to
> portmaster, but maybe there is a simpler way to solve the problem?

The number of times that -r is actually required is (thankfully) quite
small, and the number of times that there is a need to do 2 -r's of
ports that are heavily depended on is very very small. In fact I can
only remember a few such instances over 15+ years.

OTOH, the code to handle the -r feature is unfortunately quite complex,
and I'm a little hesitant to mess with it (to be honest, mostly because
it's working right now, so I don't want to tempt fate). :)  I will,
however, add this idea to my big list o' portmaster ideas and see if
it's something I could tackle at a future date.

Doug

			-- OK Go