Meet Phil the Pharisee

Godthoughts Wired brad at godthoughts.org
Thu Nov 4 01:19:28 UTC 2010

GodThoughtsWired!            Wednesday, November 3, 2010
An Inspiration for Today...A Resource for a Lifetime!

meet phil the pharisee

"To the weak I became weak,
that I might win the weak;
I have become all things to all men,
so that I may by all means save some."
1 Corinthians 9:22

Yesterday's GT was entitled, I'm a Giants Fan...But a Jesus Fanatic!  The point of the message was that, while I enjoy baseball, "on a scale of 1-10, in terms of what's truly important in my life, the Giants and the World Series aren't even on the scale" (see GTWired!, November 2, 2010).

And, as I'm apt to do, I provided a visual illustration from the pulpit to contrast that which ultimately means nothing (the Giants winning the World Series), and that which means everything (my relationship with Jesus).

Like the Apostle Paul before me (Olympic games, boxing, running, see above context 1 Corinthians 9:22-27; see also, 2 Timothy 2:5), I've found sports llustrations to be powerful teaching tools.  Having said that, I'm sad to report that phariseeism* is still alive and well in the body of Christ.

Please note the following response from one of our GT subscribers:

"You made a poor choice to showboat in the pulpit. On the face of it, the ministry to which you are called would seem to preclude this...guess not...Your obvious affection for the Giants should not have intruded in the pulpit ...Holding on to the world with one hand
and on to the things of God with the other
 is tough. My prayers are with you
as you agonize over these choices."
-Phil the Pharisee*
(name changed to protect the guilty)
Very sadly, I'm reminded of Matthew 11:19,
"The Son of Man came eating and drinking,
and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man
and a drunkard, a friend
of tax collectors and sinners!'
Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."
"Wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."

Indeed!

FOR FURTHER STUDY:
*Pharisee:  "religious," "judgemental," "hypocritical."
  Phariseeism:  see Matthew 23:1-36.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE AUTHOR?  Click here.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE GODTHOUGHTS MINISTRY?  Click here.

Unsubscribe