ports licenses

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 31 13:17:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 04:48:15PM +0400, Alexander Churanov wrote:
> Wesley,
>
> I suggest additions to the ports development process: each time some
> mandatory or just desired feature is added to ports an e-mail to
> ports@ is sent, describing the feature or the link to Handbook.

Matthew already pointed out CHANGES. A heads-up to this list from the
author may have been nice but it really isn't that big of a deal. Maybe,
for all I know, a message to this list is coming once everything is
ironed out.

Formal policies that mandate this kind of stuff is unnecessary in my
opinion.

> I've also just got to know about LICENSE* from this discussion thread.
> And I'm sure my ports do not contain license information.

Like I said, I'd wait until it is clearly documented in the canonical
source before I even begin to deal with it. I'm waiting on Porter's
Handbook documentation that tells me how to use it. Not using this new
LICENSE stuff in your ports is not harming anything right now, so just
sit tight and wait until it's properly documented. None of my ports
contain license information right now either.

The author (alepulver@) has said in CHANGES that a PH entry will be
available soon.

-- WXS