new upstream tracker (linuxtesting.org)

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sat May 22 19:32:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Andrey Ponomarenko <susanin at ispras.ru> wrote:
> On 05/22/2010 04:30 PM, Kostik Belousov wrote:
>> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 03:54:20PM +0400, Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, I'm from ISPRAS and we have created an experimental system for
>>> monitoring and analyzing of upstream libraries development. It may be
>>> helpful for analyzing risks of updating one of the distribution
>>> components (shared libraries). The web page of upstream-tracker is:
>>> http://linuxtesting.org/upstream-tracker/
>>> It now includes ABI changes analysis and API shallow test results for
>>> several versions of 60 popular open source libraries.
>>> Any bugs or feature requests are welcome. Thanks.
>>>
>> WOW. Can you, please, share the setup of the tracker ?
>>

> The tool itself is very young and is not well documented yet. Although
> the first version has been recently released under dual GNU GPL and LGPL
> licenses:
> http://ispras.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/Upstream_Tracker
> We are not recommended to use this version of the tool by yourself. Very
> soon we will release 1.1 version containing a lot of bug fixes and new
> features.

Unfortunately this could only be added to the base system as a port
today as it depends on perl (something that was tossed from the base
system many moons ago because of cross-building issues). I'll poke
around at the software and port it to FreeBSD because it looks
interesting though and does provide a relatively simple interface for
digesting test results.

>> It would be amazingly interesting if you added FreeBSD base system
>> libraries to the tracker.
>
> Provide, please, the list of necessary libraries.
>
>> It would be extremely interesting and
>> useful for us to see changes among releases and tips of the
>> stable and head branches.

Thanks,
-Garrett